The American Royal Championship Smoked Pork Ribs Recipe
This mouth-watering recipe is from Chris Marks and his Three Little Pigs Barbecue Team. They have won more than 40 barbecue contests around the country, including the granddaddy of 'em all—The American Royal Barbecue in Chris' hometown of Kansas City—which he has won EIGHT times!
5 hours, 12 minutes
Wood Pellet Flavor -Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Pecan
Heat the Good One Open Range Smoker to 250°F, using natural lump charcoal. Add 2 chunks of either apple or cherry flavored wood once the charcoal is ready to go.
- With a knife, strip the membrane off the backs of each slab of ribs to guarantee tenderness. Liberally coat yellow mustard over both sides of the baby back ribs. This will act as a tenderizer and a bonding agent for the rub.
- Liberally coat and rub both sides of the ribs with Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet Rub for Ribs.
- Place ribs directly on the grill grate, or in a vertical rib rack, for 5-6 hours depending on your smoker. Halfway through, rotate the rack 180 degrees to guarantee even cooking.
- Once the meat has pulled back from the bones, use a toothpick to check tenderness.
- Remove from rack and place flat on the smoker. Apply a glaze of butter, honey and Three Little Pigs Competition BBQ Sauce (or your favorite sauce) to both sides of the ribs.
- Place the ribs back on the smoker, flat. Allow 15 minutes to heat the glaze and sauce. Cut and serve hot. Enjoy!