Red Eye BBQ Beef Sandwich
- 1 chuck roast, 8-10 lbs (or 2 smaller roasts)
- Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express
- 4 oz coffee stout
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 oz olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce
For the Injection
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Trim excess fat from the roast then liberally coat with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Make the injection. In a medium saucepan, bring the beef broth to a simmer then stir in the Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Once the powders have dissolved, remove from heat and let cool in the refrigerator until ready to cook (if the injection is hot, it will actually cook the meat).
- Using the FireCraft Pro Injector, inject the roasts, making an insertion every 2 inches or so.
- Add a final shake of rub over the beef.
- Load the FireCraft Pellet-Q450 with pecan pellets and preheat to 250°F.
- Smoke the chuck roast to an internal temperature of 150-160°F (about 2 hours) then take off and place on foil. Boat the foil, add a few ounces of coffee stout, then wrap tightly.
- Return the foiled beef to the Q450 and cook another 2-3 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 195-200°F degrees or the meat is probe tender.
- Remove and let rest in a dry cooler for 1-2 hours.
- Caramelized onions (optional): While the beef rests, set the Q450 to 450°F. In a cast iron skillet, add a tablespoon of butter and an ounce of olive oil. Once the butter has melted, add the sliced onions. Slowly cook for 30-45 minutes, turning occasionally. When the skillet gets sticky, add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to deglaze. Allow the onions to absorb the fluid. When the onions are soft and golden brown, remove them from the heat and set aside.
- After resting, use Bear Paws to transfer the beef from the foil to a baking dish then shred, discarding any excess fat.
- Pile the pulled beef high on a roll and top with the caramelized onions and your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Serve & Enjoy!