Grilled Eggplant, Tomato, and Feta Stacks
BBQ doesn't have to be heavy. On a hot summer day, sometimes it's nice to keep things light, especially when there's fresh produce in season. Even though this recipe for Grilled Eggplant, Tomato, and Feta Stackers is loaded with flavor, it won't weigh you down. Perfect for entertaining or for pairing with a twilight cocktail on the patio, it's a great way to use the eggplant, tomatoes, and basil that are always in abundance during the summer months.
Although we prepared this recipe with the FireCraft Pellet-Q450, it can be adapted to any type of grill.
Wood Pellet Flavor -Alder, Cherry, Pecan
Sprinkle the eggplant rounds with salt on both sides and let sit on a paper towel for 30 minutes to draw out the water.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper then stir together. Set aside.
- Load the Q450 with hickory pellets and set the temperature to 450°F.
- Brush olive oil on each eggplant slice then grill 2 -3 minutes each side until cooked.
- Reduce the grill temperature to 350°F.
- Arrange the eggplant on the grill, spoon a little of the oil mix onto each, sprinkle on a layer of feta, and top with tomato. Repeat, adding another layer each of eggplant, oil, feta, and tomato.
- Close the lid and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are wilted and the cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy!