There's something about fajitas that people just love. Maybe it's the incredible Tex-Mex flavor. Or maybe it's that you get to put them together yourself, taking as much or as little of the fixins as you want. Great fajitas have incredible flavor and use fresh ingredients. This recipe from Steven Raichlen is guaranteed to be a family favorite, so make enough or be quick!
Wood Pellet Flavor -Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Oak, Pecan
Place the skirt steaks in a non-reactive baking dish in a single layer. Combine the chili powder, coriander, slat, cumin, garlic, and onion powders, and black pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture over the meat, patting it on with your fingertips. Let stand for 10 minuets. Squeeze the lime over the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour, covered.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
- Place the poblano and bell peppers on the hot grate and grill until charred on all sides, turning with tongs, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer pepper to a cutting board, wrap in wet paper towels, and let cool. Meanwhile grill the scallions until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side, turning with tongs.
- Unwrap the peppers, pull off the burnt skin with your fingers (or scrape it off with a knife), cut the flesh off the core, scrape out the seeds, and cut into ¼ inch strips. Cut the scallions into 2 inch pieces or keep whole. Arrange the pepper strips and scallions on a platter. Place the cilantro, jalapenos, avocado, sour cream, salsas, and lime wedges in attractive bowls.
- Place the skirt steaks on the hot grate and grill until cooked to taste, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 3 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut each steak in half crosswise and thinly slice across the grain. Arrange the sliced steaks on the platter with the grilled vegetables.
- Place the tortillas on the hot grate and grill until soft and pliable, 15 seconds per side. Place them in a basket.
- To serve, have each guest place sliced beef and grilled vegetables on a tortilla and spoon some of the cilantro, jalapenos, avocado, sour cream, and/or salsas on top. After a squeeze of lime juice is added, the tortilla can be rolled into a neat bundle for eating. Tying the tortilla with the whole grilled scallion makes and elegant touch.